La Comida of the Sea and Me.

Let me start by reminding you all that I am from Arizona. Landlocked, closest ocean is eight hours away, Arizona. And then to top it off I am not really a fan of sea food, I never have been I think it's a textural thing but anyways...here we go.

So yesterday my host mom was in a rush and asked if I could help her out by cooking for her. I told her yes and not to worry about it. As she was running out the door she then told me quickly to cook it (there was a bag of 'it' in the sink) in a pot with a little bit of garlic, salt, and celery in a pot and then to make sure it was covered with water. I told her that I got it handled and it wasn't a problem. I thought I was just going to be boiling some chicken or something. It was not chicken.

I cut up some celery and garlic, sautéed it real quickly and then went over to the bag so I could put, again what I thought was chicken in the pot. I opened up the bag and there were CRABS. There were five living and moving crabs! At this point I started freaking out, earlier that day I had just figured out how to cooked a fried egg (seriously no joke) and now I had to cook crabs! I had only maybe even eaten crab once in my life when my brother ordered it at a Red Lobster. And did I mention they were ALIVE!


At the time I was cooking them I was also video-chatting with my boyfriend back home and he was getting a kick out of it for sure. Every time they would move I would let out a little squeal (Yes, I realize I am a wimp). I had no idea if I had to clean them before I cooked them or if I just dumped them into the pot or what. So I dumped them into the pot. But then I realized that the five crabs did not all fit into one pot. So then I had to put them back into their bag. Tongs to the rescue! The last thing I wanted to do was touch the crabs, so I went with tongs. I only dropped them a couple times...never a long distance, don't worry.

I was determined though so I got a second pot and was going to cook these crabs for my host mom. I cut up some more garlic and celery to prolong the moment of having to deal with the crabs again but then the moment came. I grabbed my trusted tongs and placed the crabs in their pots, all while freaking out. I'm telling you they were staring at me. I put them in the water, put the lid on the pot and let it boil. I realize now that I did not kill the crab in the most humane way, I apologized to them, but give me a break it was my first time cooking crab!


In all reality I had no idea how long you are supposed to cook crab so I just let them simmer but then I figured there has to be a time limit. I've learned since then, it's about 20 minutes. I definitely cooked them longer than 20 minutes. But then they were done! I transferred them to a dish, and gave one a try. I must say, even for not liking fish, they weren't to shabby. I think it was a success! All in one day I learned how to cook fried eggs and crab. I think I'm going to stick to my grilled cheese and quesadillas though...

**T-minus 102 Days

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwin' it Back

Working Hard...or hardly working

Holly Week/Semana Santa