Part 2: La Paz

I know, I know...I'm failing as a blogger. I said I was going to better and look at me...I'm not. If it makes it any better Im also way behind on my own personal journaling. Let's just all come to terms with it...Blog Nation...well let's just say I shouldn't quit my day job to become a full time blogger.

Anyways on to exciting adventures! A couple weeks ago I went to La Paz, the capital city of Bolivia. Like most capital cities it was buildings upon buildings and a whole lot of traffic. Personally I think it's great for a visit but not for living. Big city life is not my cup of tea.


Just shy of 12,000 feet above sea level the city of La Paz sits in a narrow valley between the mountains with the extents of the city climbing up the sides of the mountains in every direction.

Bolivia is a country filled with spirted people who will protest and fight for what they believe in. That said, as it is the capital, there are always protest happening by a myriad of groups in la plaza principal outside of the office of the president. As I was walking through the city streets, I happened to be in La Paz on el día del mar. El día del mar is the day that Bolivia lost there sea side land to Chile in 1904 (don´t quote me on that date) way back when and it is something that no one can get over and accept. And as such a group of school children had formed and they were shouting out "The sea is ours! We want the sea!"


Yep...they start them young here in Bolivia. Needless to say, Chile will not budge and will not give even an ounce of coastline back to Bolivia.

One of the best things about La Paz is el teleforico. If you want to get around the city the tele is the way to do it. It´s basically the cities metro system. But instead of a system of subways and train cars it is a system of cable cars that take you above the cities streets and gives you a birds eye view of everything. And there is no better way to avoid traffic then to fly above it.


Lastly, I'm not much of one from architecture (buildings can be beautiful but I'm more of one for nature) but the cathedral de San Francisco was beautiful. For a small price I paid to go to the museum of the church, which is just a tour of it really. Oh my goodness, on the inside of the church beyond just the chapel it was so beautiful. From my tour there are two main things I learned:
  1. The monasteries that used to live there made and drank a lot of wine, and
  2. There is no way that any of them were fat (Which doesn't make that much sense with the amount of wine they produced).
My favorite part of the tour is we got to go up onto the roof of the church. The stairway to get up to the roof was absolutely tiny. An averaged sized adult man could barely fit through, I am super skinny and even I thought it was tight. Hence, why none of the monasteries must of been at, they wouldn't have been able to fit. The church roof was beautiful and made me feel like I was in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. 



If you get the chance to go to La Paz. Go. Just don't stay for long, there is much more to see in Bolivia. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwin' it Back

Working Hard...or hardly working

Holly Week/Semana Santa