Besos

As of today I am saying farewell to Chile, at least for now, I think I will be back again. Five months latter and I am boarding my plane to head off to my next adventure. Now just to give you a heads up this will not be a reflective essay about how studying abroad has opened my eyes and how I have finally found myself. I will admit for many people traveling and studying abroad brings about a grand epiphany and self realization, and I think that is great when it happens.

I did not have a grand epiphany, did not find the answer to some deep soul search, I did not find myself while studying abroad. I am perfectly okay with that, honestly I knew I wouldn't have that grand epiphany, I know who I am.

*Note: If you are on a journey to 'find yourself' then go and run ramped through the world learning about new cultures until you do.
And not as some shameless plug: I would recommend looking to God, from my life I can tell you it works out pretty dang well.

I'm not have been on a hunt for myself but the one thing that has impacted me the most during my time in Chile are the people I have met. Greater than any river and more spectacular than any mountain range is the kindness of strangers and the starts to new friendships.


I am a firm believer in humanity and that there is always good in the world. I think it is foolish to assume the bad before the good. There is always more good than bad. Always. Here are some examples from my time in Chile:

1. My host family took me in and made me a part of their family. My host mom went above and beyond being my landlord and treated me as if I was one of her daughters.


2. I made friends who were patient with me and didn't care when my Spanish was incorrect. They wanted to know me for me, and like all good friendships brought in plenty of laughter to the mix.


3. Complete strangers offered me a room in their house when I was just passing through town. They gave me dinner, a bed, and a warm shower (When you are traveling out of a backpack, there is nothing better).


4. Hitchhiking was a piece of cake and we would rarely exchange names but there was always wonderful conversation about life.

5. When I need help in a class my class mates would always help me no matter how stupid my questions where. The university system here is way different in the way it is structured and my classmates helped me survive the system.

6. My professors were very kind and never looked at me like an idiot when I am sure I sounded like one. No matter the amount of emails I sent or how often I went into their office they were always open and willing to help me understand the material in class.



7. Complete strangers became future connections. On a 12 hour ferry ride I connected with a couple who offered me a place to stay at their house in Santiago whenever I return to Chile in the future.

That is only 7 out of a million examples. I may not of 'found myself' but I found friendship and love in others. I found a home in Chile, and as I leave a part of my heart will stay here. I know that I will be back one day, for now though, my adventure continues.

Stay tuned as I head to Bolivia for my four month internship. I'm off to the working world! (Well kind of, I'm working for free, but still working!)



From me and a kitty, besos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwin' it Back

Working Hard...or hardly working

Holly Week/Semana Santa