Part 1: El Lago Titicaca and Copacabana

First off, I am sorry for my absence in the blog world. My life hasn't been all that interesting lately and then to top it off I lost my wifi for a couple of days. Seriously, for all of you out there who lived without wifi or the internet I don't know how you did it.

I think the last time I had to use an encyclopedia was in elementary school and I haven't had wifi for forever but it has become a vital part of my life. Anyways I have adventures to tell you!

The other day I got to go to Lake Titicaca from the port side city of Copacabana. Now to give you all a little bit of background info here are some things to note about Lake Titicaca:
  • It is the highest lake in the world.
  • It's a very important land mark in the Incan history
  • And it is my mother's favorite lake just because of the name. Seriously 'Titicaca' you can't help but laugh just a little bit.

Within Lake Titicaca there are two islands, La Isla de Sol and La Isla de la Luna. La Isla de Sol is the main island where the Inca king would go when he was dying and he would then crown one of his sons as his successor. Life on the island is simple, given now it's become a bit of a tourist attraction (seriously it's gringo central) but every road is just a simple foot path and it's a common sight to see farmers walk by leading their donkeys, sheep and lamas. 


The island is beautiful. I decided to wake up early for sunrise and it was well worth it. A sunrise is a sight to never regret, it is often worth waking up early. I hiked up to the highest point of the island and watched the sun rise over the lake, the air was crisp and cool and it was beautiful. If you go to Lake Titicaca, wake up for the sunrise.



After my day on the island I hoped back on the boat and headed back to Copacabana. Again it is gringo central, if you want the experience of the locals opt out of the restaurants where there menus are in English and walk about a block over from the street lined with nic-nacs and you'll find where the locals hang out and lunch in the marketplace is the place to go. And also be sure to check out the catholic church, it is beautiful.



I'm all for having an experience like that of the locals. It's the only way to get to know the culture.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwin' it Back

Working Hard...or hardly working

Holly Week/Semana Santa