Volcanic Answer

During my K-12 education at some point I learned about Pompeii and wondered why in the world anyone would chose to live at the base of an active volcano. In my young mind I had connected the dots that a volcanic eruption tends to end in destruction.

And then.....I went to Pucón! Pucón is the start to the south of Chile and it is a city that people flock to year round. And if you haven't guessed yet Pucón is at the base of a volcano with a little bit of distance. And it is an active volcano at that. It just sputters and spits every now and again but still active none the less. So why live at the base of a volcano? Because volcanos create the most beautiful pieces of nature surrounding them! The shear beauty makes the possible destruction worth it.

Sorry in advance because I was not able to catch a picture of the volcano that could ever do it justice and with just my luck it's peaks were obscured by clouds. I myself only caught a quick glimpse of the volcano when the clouds decided to move for just a moment.


Pucón is filled with lush greenery, hot springs fueled from the volcano, roaring rivers, lakes and so much more. Compared to the skyscrapers and grey concrete of Concepcion, Pucón was a much needed respite for my mind and soul. The fresh air was literally a breath of relief and like always I felt at home within the trees and the mountains. Pucón did not disappoint.


The first day was filled with white water rafting which is always fun. My raft took plenty of waves to the face some which were direct hits and managed to fill all of our noses with the cold water and some that would only hit half the boat. We had a guide who was amazing and would give us commands in English and Spanish as we paddled forward. We screamed, we laughed and at least I smiled so much to where I couldn't stop. Another one of the rafts had gone into an eddie and ended up flipping their boat! Don't worry everyone made it back onto the raft safely they were just a little cold. The river was absolutely beautiful.


The next day was filled with rain, walks in the trees, hot springs and waterfalls. Even in the rain, Pucón was breathtaking. I could talk forever of the never ending beauty of Pucón, but instead I think you should just go and experience it for yourself.


And maybe just maybe with all of this beauty in reach it really is worth it to live at the base of a volcano.



T-minus 46 days

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwin' it Back

Working Hard...or hardly working

Holly Week/Semana Santa